I’m just a fashionable lady with expensive home decor tastes living on a DIY budget. I started to redecorate my bedroom and needed a lamp for the space. As I do with any redecorating project, I did the usual Pinterest search and trolled my favorite retailers’ websites for inspiration. One of those retailers is Anthropologie.
I’m a HUGE fan of their House and Home collection, especially their lighting options. Unfortunately for me, I can’t afford their prices. When I came across their Aliso Lamp Ensemble, it caught my eye.
So as a DIY challenge to myself, I decide to try and recreate the lamp I fell in love with for under $100.
Read on to learn how I did it for under $35!
Project Cost Breakdown:
Anthropologie’s Aliso Lamp Ensemble = $178
Erin’s Copycat = $32.34
DIY Savings = $145.66
Lamp Base (from Goodwill) = $1.59
Lamp Shade (from Target) = $24.99
Spray Paint (from Home Depot) = $5.76
Note: I already had a bottle of white acrylic paint, 2″ paint brush, and sand paper which saved some cost on this project.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Lamp Base
- 1 Lamp Shade
- 1 Lightbulb
- 1 can, Multicolor Textured Spray Paint – I used Rust-oleum’s Desert Bisque
- 1 bottle, white acrylic paint
- 1 paint brush, 2″
- 2 plastic bags – fruit and veggie bags from the grocery store work great
- painters tape
- fine grade sandpaper
I started my DIY project at Goodwill. My hope was to find a lamp base and possible lamp shade that imitated Anthropologie’s look. I struck out on a shade but was in luck when it came to a lamp base. While the base shape wasn’t exactly the same, I picked up this “lovely” rose colored base for just $1.59! I made sure to plug it in before leaving the store to make sure that it worked.
Next on the list – find a lamp shade.
My go to lamp shade place is Target. They always have a nice selection of sizes and design options to choose from. I brought the base with me to make sure I bought a shade that fit appropriately to the lamp base. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought a shade without having the base with me, only to bring it home to find it doesn’t look right or worse, it doesn’t fit!
I tried several shade/base combos, finally settling on the Nate Berkus Contrast Lining Lamp Shade in White and Black for $24.99 (as seen on the right). While it’s not the natural creamy wheat color the Anthro lamp is, it was a perfect fit for the base of the lamp.
Next up, how to make the lamp base look like stone. To accomplish this, I went to Home Depot to figure out what medium I wanted to use to make the lamp’s base look like earthenware. I had two options, either use a colored tile grout or a premium spray paint to create the effect.
While grout would have given the lamp’s base a grittier texture, it would have taken longer to apply/dry and I wanted to be fast and efficient. I chose spray paint and went with a brand I have used before and trust, Rust-oleum. I bought their Multicolor Texture Spray Paint in Desert Bisque.
In order to prep the base for painting, I did the following:
- Wiped down the base with a wet wash cloth (warm water and soap)
- Dry the base
- Removed lightbulb and wrapped a plastic bag around the socket and secured with painters tape.
- Wrapped the cord where it met the lamp with painters tape, then wrapped the remaining cord in another plastic bag secured with painters tape.
Always spray paint in a well ventilated area! I spray painted the base outside on a lovely sunny afternoon on top of a cardboard box.
I used the entire can of spray paint for this project. I sprayed each layer onto the base and waited 10 minutes in-between coats to make sure the previous coat was dry (about 3 coats). I did this to avoid nasty drip marks. Once painted, I let the bast sit overnight to make sure the paint was completely dry. I then removed the plastic bag and painters tape from the top socket the next morning. I left the tape and bag on the cord.
Painting on top of the cardboard, I started to layer white acrylic paint to the base. I added a few drops of water to the white paint to give it a more transparent quality. From there, I layered the paint up to create an opaque appearance. I then used a “dry brush” technique, using very little paint (without addition of water) to the brush to create the same effect that was used on the original Antrho lamp (see the top band). Before I applied the paint to the lamp, I ran it across the cardboard first to take off excess paint.
Once the white paint was dry and I was happy with it’s appearance on the lamp, I roughed up the paint with a fine grade sandpaper because I didn’t want the piece to look “too perfect”. I gently ran the sandpaper over the base to age it. I then removed the plastic bag and painters tape from the cord.